tdlau

Saturday, April 14, 2007

So, Dan and I were talking to Mike and Joy a few weeks ago. the question came up, "Can you tell the difference between ABC cantonese, mainland, and taiwanese just by looking, without hearing them speak or act?" I think that I could tell at least the difference between cantonese versus the other chinese. I think that I could also tell the difference between northern chinese versus southern chinese people. But, I couldn't really say what was different (i.e. face shape, skin color, etc.). I told them that I would think about it more.

I was at UC Irvine this weekend. Of course, I saw many many asian people. I had to make quick decisions of whether they were chinese or not and then which chinese they were. It was really hard. I gave up pretty quick. I still think that I can distinguish between northern and southern, but that's about it.

Does anyone know of any physical characteristics to tell the difference?

1 Comments:

  • i don't know how true this is, but i heard that asian babies born overeseas are more likely to have rounder faces & flat backs of their heads -- i think it has some thing to do with the way they're put to bed (on their backs). here's a weird one...sometimes i can guess if someone's asian by talking to the phone and not seeing them. even if they're american born.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home